Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Consistency

Bret, I agree with statements 1, 3, and 4. I disagree with statement 2. However, I'd point out that taxation is not taking something without consent. As a citizen of the country, you are giving consent to be taxed to maintain and improve the country from which you benefit. Further, taxes are not arbitrary. Tax laws are well-known, and taxes are levied according to these laws. You can choose to withhold your "consent" to taxation by emigrating, or by not benefitting from the beneficence of our country's economy by not making any money.

I don't believe that governments can morally take things without consent or arguably just compensation.

One point about the lying statements. There is some grey area here. Some lies are small and insignificant, and hardly constitute immorality. Although, even small, seemingly harmless lies can result in bad, unexpected results, as can truths that are spoken to people who are not prepared to handle them. So, there is judgment about the significance of a situation in determining if a lie constitutes immorality.

Feel free to ask me as many questions as you want. I won't claim that there are no holes in my logic.

No comments: