Search This Blog

Friday, May 07, 2004

Connect the Dots

- Bush declares to Iraqi fighters: "Bring it on!"
- Bush explains that Geneva Convention does not apply to Al Qaeda prisoners.
- The administration denies prisoners access to lawyers and other privileges previously considered "rights."
- Prisoner abuses reported but ignored by the administration.
- The truth about abuse, torture, and murder begins to come out. (There are so many more dots to list, I could spend all morning doing so.)

We have our own Lord of the Flies situation here. A swashbuckling, brutal culture reinforced by leaders. Young people thrown into a chaotic situation without oversight or consequences, and provided near absolute power.

I do not think we have hit bottom yet in Iraq. In fact, I think things will continue to get worse. I hope I'm wrong.

No comments: