Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hide the Decline

I'm glad I posted my view of the science, economics, politics, and philosophy of Climate Change before the recent email hack of the Climate Research Unit of East Anglia. It enabled me to be a brave contrarian speaking truth to overwhelming consensus (or something like that), whereas now I seem to be just one of the majority skeptics.

I'm, of course, not even vaguely surprised by the revelations found in the emails, code, and data released by the hack. The revelations in and of themselves are not seriously damaging, in my opinion. However, they completely vindicate skeptical climate folk like McIntyre, Lindzen, Svensmark, Spencer, etc. and make it far more likely that people will listen to them now, and in the future. The tide (so to speak) is turning against climate alarmism, and just might be unstoppable.

I sure hope so.

6 comments:

Susan's Husband said...

Yes, I agree with the people who say this was all implicit in the debunking of the Mann "hockey stick". That's what put me firmly on the skeptical side that whatever these AGW people were doing, it wasn't science.

Hey Skipper said...

I think what is most damaging is the prodigious effort towards keeping raw data -- that taxpayers bought -- secret.

Which is kind of saying the same thing SH said. Hiding raw temperature data (as with dendrochronology) was essential to eliminating the medieval warming period, the presence of which would have broken the hockey stick, without which warmenists would have nothing to beat us over the head with.

I have contended elsewhere that the concept of god is irrelevant to the existence of religious belief.

I'll take this as an Itolyaso.

Bret said...

Hey Skipper,

I agree and am hoping this forces all climate scientists to produce their data and code going forward. While McIntyre is especially talented and tenacious, if the code and data are available, the blogosphere will check it with thousands of pairs of eyes and they won't be able to pull the wool over our eyes and climate science will actually advance a lot faster.

Harry Eagar said...

Steve Schneider, in his autobiography, says not only is the code personal and private, that climate scientists write such idiosyncratic code that no one else could make it work.

Not to mention all the "unrecorded subroutines."

I say, when a researcher tells you his results cannot be replicated, believe him!

Bret said...

That's funny Harry, thanks for the laugh!

Susan's Husband said...

Mr. Eagar;

I had someone fired for less than that. And if one of my employees or reports had told me something like this seriously, I would have had them canned as well.

I am just stunned over and over that this sort of thing is admittedly in public!