Search This Blog

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Amazing Webtool for Bloggers

There are a variety of different blog posting styles that I use. Some of my posts are essentially just links to some other webpage (this is Instapundit's main operating mode). Other posts are completely standalone - that is, they contain no links whatsoever. But by far, my most common post format is what I call the excerpt format. I excerpt (with a link) a significant portion of some other document and then provide an analysis or opinion regarding that excerpt and the article that contains it.

But the process of creating an excerpt post has, up till now, been inefficient for me. Typically, I'll see an article that I'm interested in analyzing and commenting on. Usually a particular passage catches my eye. I usually don't have time to blog about it right then, so I bookmark it. Then it sits in my bookmarks, but the title of the bookmark doesn't remind me of why I bookmarked it in the first place, so it languishes forever. I add more and more bookmarks and my bookmarks become unmanageble. I then delete them all to start with a clean slate only to later realize that I've deleted something important.

But now there's a new tool called Diigo. It automates the bookmarking process, allowing a user to highlight specific passages of a webpage and add comments to specific excerpts. The bookmark contains not only the title, but the highlighted information and all of the users' comments. With this functionality, Diigo is essentially providing highlighter and post-it capabilities for the Internet.

But it doesn't stop there. With a single click it will post all of that information to your blog (or blogs) via an editing window. That bookmarked information can also contain the images.

Hopefully, with this new tool my blogging frequency and quality will go up substantially. I also highly encourage my team blogger (that'd be you, Howie) to install Diigo. Comments and highlights can be made public which means that others can see them so we can have more interactive comments on our posts. Of course, I also highly encourage the rest of the post-Judd alliance to at least check it out and see what you think.

I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I've played with it and I'm amazed! I'll give a second report in a few weeks after I have more experience so you can wait till then to check it out and/or install it if you like.