Search This Blog

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Howard

I've been informed that my good friend and co-blogger Howard committed suicide today. I talked to him last month and while I knew he wasn't in a particularly happy place, I had no idea of just how unhappy a place he must've been in. I regret that I didn't call him more often - maybe it would've made a difference.

I will sorely miss him and I'm sure the rest of his friends and family will as well. He was truly a Great Guy in all senses of those two words.

5 comments:

erp said...

Oh Bret, how awful. In his comments, Howard seemed the epitome of reason and sanity. My husband and I send our heartfelt sympathy to you and his family and now I'm doubly worried about AOG. I wish he'd drop in and say hello even if he hasn't the time for blogs.

Clovis said...

Oh my God.

Hey Skipper said...

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Clovis said...

It brings to memory an old saying:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Hey Skipper said...

[Bret:] I talked to him last month and while I knew he wasn't in a particularly happy place, I had no idea of just how unhappy a place he must've been in. I regret that I didn't call him more often - maybe it would've made a difference.

I'm not much of a believer in serendipity, but this is almost enough to change my mind. The most recent episode (Act One) of This American Life is exactly on point: as sad as it is, calling him more often probably wouldn't have made any difference at all.