Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2003

Drug Policy

One of the areas where the "truth" is nearly impossible to find is Drug Policy. There seems to be nearly universal acceptance of the standard "Drugs are Bad" meme, pushed by the government and actively supported by the Media and research community. I have reason to doubt that drugs are quite as bad as they're made out to be. Why? Well, while I'd never admit to using drugs, not since college anyway, well, at least not in the last few years, or, er, not recently, ok, ok, at least not today, I've known a few several many dozens hundreds of light, well maybe not so light, say moderate, possibly heavy (I never realized one could ingest so much and survive) recreational drug users, and they all seemed to do quite well at school, work, life, etc.

On the other hand, I've never known anybody to use heroin or opiates in general and know very little about these drugs. Reasononline has an article H The surprising truth about heroin and addiction. Unfortunately, I don't trust it, as per my rants below about the lyin', cheatin', media. Especially when they throw the word "truth" in the title. That's almost a guarantee that it's not the truth. Other than that, it's an interesting article.

The main point I'd like to make is that Drug Policy, and the millions of peoples whose lives are affected by it, seems to be based completely on intentional lies and other perversions of the truth. But real data, trustable data, data that could be used objectively to make people better off is nowhere to be found.

No comments: