Search This Blog

Monday, October 13, 2003

Michael Moore

I've read Stupid White Men by Michael Moore and I can't say I recommend it. Quite the opposite, in fact. The book is funny, but not funny enough, in my opinion, to warrant slogging through the error riddled rant. This article lists many (but nowhere near all) of the errors in the book. After my experience with that particular book, I don't think I'll take the time to read anything else by Mr. Moore.

I have no use for books that contain so many errors that I notice them as I read. I'm sure it's far less than five percent of the "facts" in the book that are in error, but as with the media, I don't know which assertions are correct and which aren't. I don't have time to track down every fact to see if the author has it right or not, therefore I can't use any of it.

As far as keeping with the pulse of the far left, I read articles and book reviews. By the way, I read and enjoyed The Nation article you mentioned below. I have read several Chomsky articles, and I think he's an excellent writer, even if I mostly disagree vehemently with what he writes (and that happens to include his language understanding research as well, even though I do own one of his books).

No comments: